Description

Whether it be social, recreational, or professional, some of what represents me is here. Post a comment, or contact me at Dallas@embracespace.ca should you so desire.

The posts are in reverse chronological order, and are pegged by topic on the links to the left. For more of an introduction, please see the About this site page listed above.

Wednesday 14 September 2011

Balance

You've heard it before, and I will say it again, life is all about balance. The more I learn about myself, the world, and the interaction of the two, the more I come to appreciate a balanced approach. I have spent a lot of time thinking, yes, probably too much, but with those thoughts has come a greater understanding of my capabilities.

So, let's look at this whole balance idea. A balanced diet is said to be good for you. As much as I hate to admit it sometimes, that's more than fair. We are omnivores, we evolved to include meat in an already varied diet of fruits, vegetables and leguuumes, as I like to pronounce them. Our bodies and minds, while not liking change, also hate the lack of it. To stay fit, we need to not only expose ourselves to various types of foods, in order to get all the essential vitamins, minerals and nutriments (as seen from Clone High), but our bodies need to be exposed to a varied regimen of exercise. Too much of something is bad for you, (as seen here at ~2 minutes into: A Bit of Fry and Laurie) not enough is bad for you, somewhere in the middle, as tailored to your needs is just right, of course. And that's just the body!

The mind is similar in this respect. We need solid, dependable things, like relationships, a steady household, and perhaps even a bit of routine to keep our lives in order. But, work in a cubicle for a little while, and you'll realize that you need more; you need stimulation, and not always of the predictable kind. To get work done...well, you need to work. But, too much work and your brain turns to mush and your entire system rebels against it. So, you need to relax, but too much of that affects your body, and too much procrastination doesn't help you get your work done. So, you need balance.

Obviously, what I am telling you makes sense. It's kind of vague and enveloping and doesn't give you anything new. Or does it? More often than not, I see people who are hard-pressed to keep balance in their lives. They spend too much time avoiding that which needs to be done and they live from one excess to another. Time management seems to be lacking. People running behind because they cannot balance everything that is going on in their lives.

I am perhaps entirely too logical with everything that I do. Almost everything that I say or do has some clear purpose or reason, even if it's only known to me. I do my very best to balance the forces in my life so that I can give as much of myself to everything I desire. It isn't always easy, but it's almost always successful. Funny enough, and perhaps even contrarily enough, I even schedule/plan for spontaneity and outside influences. I am an engineer, in training, and have always lived my life with the expectation that life will give you a plus/minus on your expectations. You can plan very carefully and then life will throw you a curveball. However, if you plan for this, trust yourself, and work at it, you can be ready for the craziest of scenarios.

The first thing you need to do is watch this: Scene from the Matrix, and that secret is that this phrase is so important that without learning it, your life will be a myriad of seemingly random, uncontrollable events. You have to know and respect yourself. Again, this is difficult; it's taken me almost 16 years of doubt before I could respect and appreciate myself. But, once I did, everything else fell into place. With that trust and confidence, I can now plan for any conceivable contingency and fall back on my own innate skills in case the inconceivable happens.

I am beginning to ramble here. I apologize for all this which might be too obvious, even boring to read. But, honestly, if it's so obvious why does everyone struggle with it? I'm not going to say that I've got everything together, but most of the time I feel like I'm the only one standing on solid ground. I will leave you all now with a synopsized list of the above, as well as a well-wish:
  • Know yourself
  • Trust, hell, even love, yourself
  • Carefully examine everything in your life, and then strike a balance
  • Stick to the plan
Finally, you can do it, I know you can. you may feel like you're a small presence in a much larger world, but the truth is, It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most, so remember that, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment